How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

How do I see an advisor?

Cynthia Merritt, Academic Advisor II

Monday and Tuesday: Department of Africana Studies:  Maccabees Building, 11th floor, 5057 Woodward, 313-577-9565
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday:  Faculty Administration Building (FAB), across for the Towers Residential Halls, Room 3220, 313-577-0653

To arrange an appointment, visit


Dr. Ollie Johnson, Faculty Advisor

5057 Woodward Ave., Room 11003
t:  313-577-9157 e:

Office Hours: By appointment (through email or telephone)
How to make an appointment: Call or email me

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements.
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for.
  3. Login into Pipeline and go to the Student tab. Under the "Registration" section on the left click "Register/Add/Drop". 

For more information visit the Student Records & Registration and the Registration Information pages.

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare a minor in Africana Studies, you need to meet with the program's academic advisor, Dr. Ollie Johnson. To make an appointment, email him at:

How do I complete my BA/BS in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, click here to consult the 4-year degree plan for your degree. You should also meet with your academic advisor at least once a year to review your progress.

How do I get involed in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

How do I apply for a scholarship?

There are a variety of scholarships undergraduate and graduate students can apply for. These include:

CLAS Scholarships - deadline is in February of each year. Click here for details

Wayne State Scholarships - click here for details

Department Scholarship: Coleman Young and Dudley Randall Scholarships

 ↑ back to top