How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Admission to the Ph.D., M.S., and M.S. Biotechnology programs occurs once per year in the Fall Term only. To assure a review of your application to the Ph.D. program and consideration for full financial support, applications must be submitted by December 1.  Decisions will be made on a continuous basis and thus later applications may not be reviewed if all open positions are filled.  The final university mandated deadlines for applications are March 1 for international applicants and April 1 for domestic applicants.

Applicants to the Master of Arts program in Biological Sciences may be admitted during Fall or Winter Term. Applications should be submitted at least four weeks before the start of the desired semester.

For more information click here

How do I see an advisor?


Undergraduate Programs

Kim Walkowiak Hunter

Name: Kim Walkowiak Hunter, Academic Advisor IV
E-mail Address:
Telephone: 313-577-0601
Office Location: 1360 Biological Sciences Building
To arrange an appointment, visit

Name: Rebecca Russell, Academic Advisor II
E-mail Addres:
Telephone: 313-577-2296
Office Location: 1360 Biological Sciences Building
To arrange an appointment, visit
 Name: Antoinette Cunningham, Academic Advisor II
E-mail Addres:
Telephone: 313-577-0185
Office Location: 1360 Biological Sciences Building
To arrange an appointment, visit


Graduate Programs

Rose Mary Pries

Name: Rose Mary P. Priest, Graduate Secretary
E-mail Address:
Telephone: 313-577-6818
Office Location: 1360 Biological Sciences Building
How to arrange an appointment: E-mail me or call me


How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's academic advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left click Register/Add/Drop.

For more information visit Records & Registration and Registration Information at

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare a minor in Biology, make an appointment with an academic advisor by going to

How do I complete my BA/BS in four years?

In fall 2014 an interactive degree plan for the B.A. and B.S. degrees will be put online. The plans will lay out term by term what courses you should take to fulfill the Wayne State University General Education Requirements, the College requirements, and the requirements for your major within four years. Until the plans are online, please consult the department website and Undergraduate Bulletin for the B.A. and B.S. degree requirements.

You should also meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress. To make an appointment with an advisor, go to

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

How do I apply for scholarships and financial aid?


Financial Aid

  • All students
  • Biology Department Ph.D. Students
    • All Biology Ph.D. students are admitted with funding that includes tuition, health and dental benefits. Funding of MS and MS Biotechnology students is frequently offered when available.
  • All Graduate Students - Wayne State Graduate Funding webpage


 ↑ back to top