How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions. You should also consult the website for the department that you wish to apply to see if there are additional application forms required by the department.

For more information, visit Urban Studies - How To Apply

How do I see an advisor?

Staff Academic Advisor


 Stacie Moser

 Academic Advisor II
 2245 Faculty Administration Building


 To arrange an appointment, visit

Faculty Advisor for Undergraduate Major in Urban Studies

Jeff Horner
Lecturer and Director of Undergraduate Studies
3215 Faculty/Administration Building


Faculty Advisor for Master's Degree in Urban Planning

Kami Pothukuchi
Associate Professor, Interim Chair, and Director of Graduate Studies
3198 Faculty/Administration Building


For general inquiries about the program, email
For specific communications, email

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements.
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for.
  3. Login into Pipeline and go to the Student tab. Under the "Registration" section on the left click "Register/Add/Drop". 

For more information visit the Student Records & Registration and the Registration Information pages.

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare a minor in Urban Studies, you'll need to meet with the program's academic advisor. To make an appointment, go to

How do I complete my BA in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, please consult the Urban Studies, Bachelor of Arts 4-year degree plan. You should also meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.

Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in undergraduate research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Convinced? Here is the next step: How To Get involved In Undergraduate Research

 ↑ back to top