How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions - see

How do I see an advisor?

Environmental Science Program Advising:

Primary Advisor: Dawn Niedermiller


Phone: 313-577-2295 

Office: 0204 Old Main (in the basement, across from the Planetarium) 

Schedule an appointment: (or by email or phone) 

Contact Cody for Information on: 

  • Program requirements; 
  • General Education questions; 
  • University/College of Liberal Arts and Sciences policies; 
  • Locating helpful campus resources; 
  • Course overrides; 
  • What can you do with a major in Environmental Science? 

How Do I Register For Classes?

See this link for How To Register: 

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left click Register/Add/Drop.

For more information visit Records & Registration and Registration Information at

How do I declare an undergraduate major?

To declare or change your major, go to

Please note: If you are seeking concurrent degrees, dual degrees, a second major, a co-major, or a minor, you must consult your advisor in order to process these statuses.

How do I complete my BS in four years?

Click here for the B.S., in Environmental Science 4-year degree plan 

*Please note, these degree plans are not necessarily exhaustive for all students and should only be used for reference. Each degree plan is unique and students wishing to know more about their specific Plan of Work, remaining requirements, etc. should meet with their academic advisor

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

How do I send my transfer credits to Wayne State?

Go to

 ↑ back to top