How Do I Apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions. The deadlines for applying are:

Fall term deadline: May 1
Winter term deadline: September 1
Spring/Summer term deadline: January 1.

For information on applying to the M.A. program consult the M.A. Student Handbook.

For information on applying to the Ph.D. program click here.


How do I see an advisor?

Undergraduate Advising

For questions related to advising, course selection, and fulfillment of degree requirements, please contact our Academic Advisor, Alicia Ortez.

Name: Alicia Ortez, Academic Advisor
Office Location: Room 2077 FAB
Phone:  313-577-2538
E-mail Address:
Schedule an appointment at



For more general questions about economics as a profession, please contact our Director of Undergraduate Programs Studies, Dr. Michael Belzer. 

Name: Dr. Michael Belzer
Office Location: Room 2127 FAB
Office hours: By appointment
E-mail Address:

How to arrange an appointment: E-mail me



Graduate Advising

Ph.D. Students

Name: Dr. Li Way Lee
Email address:
Office Location: 2131 FAB
Office hours: By appointment
How to arrange an appointment: Email me



MA Students

Name: Dr. Allen C. Goodman
Email address:
Office Location: 2145 FAB
Office hours: MW afternoons or by appointment
How to arrange an appointment: Email me


How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Login into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the "Registration" section on the left click "Register/Add/Drop".

For more information visit Records & Registration and the Registration Information webpage at

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare a minor in Economics, you need to meet with the program's academic advisor. To make an appointment, go to

How do I complete my BA in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, click here to consult the 4-year degree plan for the BA in Economics. You should also meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress. Email to make an appointment.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

How do I apply for scholarships and financial aid?

 ↑ back to top