How do I apply?

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions - see

Graduate Students

The department requires that all applicants provide the following:

  • Application for Graduate Admission
  • Official Transcripts
  • Statement of Purpose—focus on academic background, interests and aspirations (usually 2-3 pp.)
  • 2 academic letters of reference
  • Sample essay from a previous English course (M.A. applicants planning to focus on Creative Writing may also submit creative work as a writing sample)
  • GRE General Test scores (*Ph.D. applications only; applicants to the M.A. program are encouraged, but not required, to submit GRE scores)

ALL material should be uploaded to on-line application file on the Graduate Admission website at

Due Dates for Applications:

  • Jan. 15:  All Ph.D. applicants (the Department only admits Ph.D. students for the Fall term)
  • March 1:  M.A. applicants for Fall term
  • Nov. 1:  M.A. applicants for Winter term

How Do I See an Advisor?

Royanne Smith
Undergraduate Advisor
for English, English Honors
5057 Woodward Ave., Ste. 9408
To arrange an appointment, visit
English Undergraduate Website


Caroline Maun
Associate Professor & Interim Director of Graduate Studies

5057 Woodward Ave., Ste. 9408
Advising Hours: By appointment
To make an appointment, please call Kay Stone at 313-577-7702 or e-mail her at
English Graduate Website

How Do I Register For Classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left click Register/Add/Drop.

For more information visit Records & Registration and Registration Information at

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare a minor in English, you need to meet with the program's academic advisor. To make an appointment, go to

How do I complete my BA in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, click here to consult the 4-year degree plan for the BA in English. You should also meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress. Go to to make an appointment.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

How do I apply for a scholarship or writing award?

To apply for a scholarship or a writing award click here.

 ↑ back to top