How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions - see

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions at Before applying, click here for our Graduate program brochure - the last page provides information about the admission process.

How do I see an advisor?

Undergraduate Students

Name: Dawn Niedermiller
E-mail Address:
Telephone: 313-577-2295
Office Location: 0204 Old Main (in the basement, across from the Planetarium)
How to see me: Make an appointment using


Graduate Students

Name: Dr. Sarah Brownlee
E-mail Address:
Telephone: 313-577-6223
Office Location: 0224 Old Main
Office Hours: By Appointment (through email)

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

Students seeking a dual-degree, dual major, or students who already are coded as seeking a dual-degree, dual-major, or if you have a minor should not use the link above as that will clear all your coding an simply provide you a new major. 

For example, if you are currently a Business major with a minor in Economics, you should not use the link above, assuming you want to change your major to Geology but keep your minor in Economics. If you fall into this category you should contact your Advisor. 

To declare a minor in Geology, you need to meet with the program's academic advisor. To make an appointment, go to

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left click Register/Add/Drop.

For more information visit the Records & Registration website at and the Registration Information webpage at  and

How do I send my transfer credits to Wayne State?

If you would like to send your transcripts electronically, your transferring institution should send them to
All undergraduate student transcripts should be sent to the following address:
Wayne State University
Transfer Credit Evaluation
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit, MI  48202-0759

Questions about transfer credit may be e-mailed to

How do I complete my BA/BS in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, click here to consult the 4-year degree plan for the BA and BS in Geology. You should also plan to meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress. Go to to make an appointment.

Prepare for Field Camp

Field Camp is a requirement for students completing the Bachelor of Science in Geology. Since Wayne State University does not offer this course, our students will take the course at another institution (usually during their last semester) and then transfer the credits back to us. 


STEP 1: Explore Your Options

Begin by exploring Field Camp Options using the Geology Field Camp Directory (from 


STEP 2a: Articles to Read Before Applying to Field Camps

  1. Why Should I Study Geology in the Field? (Lee Suttner, Indiana University) 

  2. What to Expect at Geology Field Camp? (Emily Ferré and Eric Ferré, Southern Illinois University) 

  3. How to Choose a Geology Field Course (David Rodgers, Idaho State University)


STEP 2b: Things to Consider When Exploring Field Camps

  • Is the course at least 6-credit hours (required for the B.S. degree) or 2-credit hours (for a B.A. degree)?

  • Have you completed all (or most of) your prerequisite coursework (i.e., Mineralogy, Petrology, Sed-Strat, and Structural Geology)?

  • Does that camp have expert instructors for each particular focus area?

  • Are digital map-making exercises included (this is the future)?

  • Does the camp involve real map-making, or just a series of mapping exercises? 

  • How physically demanding is the camp?

  • Will you stay in a base camp or at different college residences?

  • Do they have scholarships to help reduce costs?

  • Are there employment opportunities (e.g., van driver) to help reduce costs?

  • Does the camp have any special focus you're interested in (e.g., hydrogeology, geophysics, petroleum geology, etc.)? 

  • Time that the field camp is scheduled (you may be away for a month or more) 

    • Some camps allow for family visits, some do not. 

  • If electing to attend a less-commonly visited field camp, be sure to check with the faculty ahead of time to make sure it will count for your degree.


STEP 3: Comparing Field Camp Options

When comparing Field Camps, use this Field Camp Comparison Worksheet to help answer these questions. 


STEP 4: Getting Financial Aid for Field Camps

I. Consortium Agreement - For Financial Aid Receipients (Loans)

For students receiving Financial Aid in the form of Federal Loans, consider filling out a Consortium Agreement to have your WSU Aid sent to your Field Camp Institution to help cover some (or possibly all) of the costs. 

II. Field Camp Scholarships

Scholarships that can be applied towards field camp expenses have been offered by the National Association of Geoscience Teachers and the Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your resume or CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

How do I make coffee with a rock hammer?

Dr. Ed Van Hees demonstrates how to make coffee with a rock hammer

 ↑ back to top