How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions. You should also consult the website for the department that you wish to apply to see if there are additional application forms required by the department.

How do I see an advisor?

Choose a department below to visit its advising page. Current students with academic holds should contact their department's advisor for assistance.

Book an appointment with any CLAS advisor at

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements.
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for.
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left, click "Register/Add/Drop". 

For more information, please visit the Student Records & Registration and the Registration Information pages.

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare or change a co-major or minor, see the advisor for the program in question: How Do I See An Advisor?


Why should I declare my major?

  • You must declare a major in order to graduate. Pre-professional programs are not degree programs.
  • Declaring your major early will save you time and money.
  • Once you declare a major, you could qualify for departmental scholarships.
  • Declaring a major helps you and your departmental advisor create a customized path to graduation.
  • You'll finally have a real answer when friends/family ask, “what’s your major?”

How do I complete my B.A./B.S. in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree within four years, you should meet with your academic advisor at least once a year to review your progress. You should also consult your department's website and review the sample 4-year degree plan for your major.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.

Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in undergraduate research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or secure a better job
  • You'll need that recommendation letterwho better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Here is the next step: How To Get involved In Undergraduate Research

How do I apply for a scholarship?

There are a variety of scholarships undergraduate and graduate students can apply for. These include:

CLAS Scholarships (deadline is in February of each year)

Wayne State Scholarships

Departmental Scholarships (consult your department's website)

 ↑ back to top