How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions - see

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions.  They should also consult the website for the department they wish to apply to see if there are additional applications forms required by the department.  See

How do I see an advisor?

Undergraduate Student Advisor for Linguistics

Corinne Forys
5057 Woodward Ave., Room 7205.3 (note that this is on the 7th floor!)

To schedule an appointment, use WAMS (drop-in hours: Thursdays 2pm-4pm)



Graduate Student Advisor for Linguistics

 Dr. Stephen Chrisomalis
 656 W. Kirby St., Room 3019 (Faculty & Administration Building)
 Winter 2017: Tuesday 1:30pm-4pm and by appointment.

Arrangements can be made for you to meet with another faculty member if Dr. Chrisomalis is unavailable. Inquiries should be directed to the Student Assistant at 313-577-8642 or

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left click Register/Add/Drop.

For more information visit the Records & Registration website at and the Registration Information webpage at

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare a minor, you need to meet with the program's academic advisor. To make an appointment, go to

How do I complete my BA in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, click here to consult the 4-year degree plan for your degree. You should also meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?


 ↑ back to top