How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions - see

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions at Go to our pages about our graduate programs for degree requirements and application requirements

How do I see an advisor?

Undergraduate Programs - Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Public Affairs (BPA)

For questions related to advising, course selection, and fulfillment of degree requirements, please contact our Undergraduate Advisor, Ryan Ferrante.

Ryan Ferrante, Undergraduate Advisor
Rm. 2287 Faculty/Administration Building
Phone:  313-577-3170
Advising Hours: 9:00am - 4:00pm M-F by appointment only. Click here to make an appointment.



For more general questions about the fields of political science and public affairs, please contact our Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Brad Roth.

Dr. Brad Roth, Director of Undergraduate Programs
Rm. 2055 Faculty/Administration Building
Phone:  313-577-2630
Advising Hours: By Appointment (through email or telephone)



Graduate Programs:

Master of Public Administration (MPA)

Director of the Graduate Program in Public Administration

Name: Dr. Kyu-Nahm Jun
E-mail Address: 
Telephone: 313-577-9831
Office Location: Rm. 2049 Faculty/Administration Building
Office Hours: By Appointment (through email or telephone)

Master of Arts (MA) and Ph.D.

Director of Graduate ProgramsLawrence Scaff
Name: Dr. Sharon F. Lean
E-mail Address:  
Telephone: 313-577-3169
Office Location: Rm. 2059 Faculty/Administration Building
Office Hours: By Appointment (through email or telephone)

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Login into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the "Registration" section on the left click "Register/Add/Drop".

For more information visit Records & Registration at and the Registration Information at

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

To declare or change a co-major or minor, see your advisor by making an appointment at

How do I complete my BA in four years?

In order to complete your undergraduate degree in four years, use the links below to consult the 4-year degree plan for your degree. You should also meet with your Academic Advisor at least once a year to review your progress.

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

Do you want to participate in creating knowledge and work with others to solve an intellectual problem?

  • Have you ever wanted to extend a thought beyond the limits of a course or textbook? 
  • Are there topics you wish were reflected in the course schedule but are not?
  • Would you like to contribute to the creation of new knowledge and better understanding?

Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in Undergraduate Research:

  • More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers.
  • Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or land a better job.
  • You'll need that recommendation letter - who better to ask than your research mentor?
  • Practical, "hands-on" learning.
  • Great preparation for employment - independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving.
  • Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.

Seen enough? Here is the next step: How do I get involved in undergraduate research?


 ↑ back to top