How do I apply?

Undergraduate students must apply through the Wayne State Office of Undergraduate Admissions - see

Graduate students must apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions at Before applying, please review the information on our Future Graduate Students webpage.

How do I attend a Psych Mass Advising/Info Session

Prospective and current WSU students who are considering majoring or minoring in psychology should attend to learn about the major and opportunities within the field.  It is also helpful for individuals who are considering pursuing psychology as a second career and/or graduate studies. Meetings will cover psychology major requirements, information about graduate school, research experience, volunteer experience, the GRE, career resources, tips for success and much more. Attendance at one of the meetings is mandatory for all psychology majors.  Students are encouraged to attend as soon as possible.

Meetings canceleld until further notice.

How do I see an advisor?

To schedule an appointment with an assigned psychology academic advisor, please go to

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements. 
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for. 
  3. Log in into Academica and go to the Student tab. Under the Registration section on the left click Register/Add/Drop.

For more information visit the Records & Registration website at and the Registration Information webpage at

How do I declare an undergraduate major/minor?

To declare or change your major, go to

How do I get involved in undergraduate research?

As a premier research university, Wayne State encourages students to gain practical skills through Undergraduate research opportunities. Students involved in research will have a greater understanding of problem identification, critical thinking, data gathering, data analysis, problem solving, and gain laboratory technique skills. Hands-on research experience prepares students for graduate school and employment opportunities. It also allows students to contribute to the ever-changing knowledge base within your chosen field.

Most Psychology faculty actively engage undergraduate students in their research programs. This allows students to gain first-hand experience in performing scientific research. This experience is invaluable for a students academic resume; most graduate programs require it, and many private employers highly value it. The best recommendation letters a student can obtain are from faculty who supervised their research. It is strongly recommended students become involved in research early in their undergraduate career.

Students need to take the initiative in approaching faculty about joining their research programs. A student should first decide on an area of interest, and also have a solid idea on how much time they are willing to commit to a laboratory. Ten or more hours per week is a typical commitment, and many labs will require a time commitment of a semester or longer. Students should then directly contact the faculty member to express their interest. There is no need to be shy about this: keep in mind that most (if not all) of our faculty were once undergraduate research assistants themselves! 

Students interested in Psychology research are encouraged to contact faculty members for opportunities in their labs. Before contacting the faculty members, students are advised to read the individual faculty members area of research and explore the list of faculty members offering research opportunities.

Psychology students may get research experience on a volunteer basis, or they can register for Directed Study (PSY 4990 or PSY 4991) credit. Please contact Shelly Seguin, the Psychology Research Coordinator, or a Psychology Academic Advisor for more information.

How do I get an override?

All override requests must be emailed to For graduate course overrides contact Alia Allen at

Please be sure to include the following information:

  • Student name
  • Student ID number
  • Course title and reference number (CRN)
  • Type of override being requested

 ↑ back to top