How do I apply?

Applicants must apply for admission to either the Social Work or Anthropology Ph.D. program and then request admission to the SWAN program.  They must meet the admissions standards of the Graduate School and the SWAN program.

Students who do not possess an Master of Social Work (MSW) must also apply to the MSW program after alerting the Social Work doctoral chair of their application to the SWAN program.

Application deadline: January 10

How to apply: Go to

Questions: Please contact

How do I see an advisor?

For advising, please contact

Faith Hopp, MSW, Ph.D. (School of Social Work) -

Andrea Sankar, Ph.D. (Department of Anthropology) -

How do I register for classes?

Before you register for classes you should:

  1. Review your degree requirements to see what you need to take to complete your program. You may wish to meet with your program's Academic Advisor for advice on which courses you need to take to fulfill the Wayne State General Education Requirements, the College's requirements, and your degree requirements.
  2. Check the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered. Write down the CRN for each course you wish to register for.
  3. Login into Pipeline and go to the Student tab. Under the "Registration" section on the left click "Register/Add/Drop". 

For more information visit the Records & Registration website at and the Registration Information webpage at

 ↑ back to top