Link to CV
Social Perceptions and Health Lab
My research applies social psychological theory and research to health issues. I have a long-standing interest in understanding and preventing violence against women.
Current Research Interests
- Sexual assault perpetrators: What psychosocial factors increase men's likelihood of being sexually aggressive? What is alcohol's role in sexual aggression?
- Sexual assault survivors: What psychosocial factors enhance and hinder women's recovery from sexual assault victimization? What is alcohol's role?
- Alcohol and sexual risk-taking: How does intoxication influence adolescents' and young adults' sexual risk taking?
- Sexual perception and misperception: How do people decide if someone else is sexually attracted to them? What factors affect the accuracy of these judgments?
- Women's health and health-related behavior.
- Substance abuse prevention for adolescents and young adults.
To address these questions, I integrate a variety of different theoretical models from social psychology, alcohol studies, developmental psychology, stress and coping research, and criminal justice.
- Undergraduate: Health Psychology (PSY 2410), Psychology of Women (PSY 3250)
- Graduate: Health Psychology I (PSY 8300), Interdisciplinary Research Methods (PSY 7470), Social Psychological Theory and Research on Close Relationships (PSY 7645), Psychology of Women (PSY 8600)
Selected Recent Publications
Wegner, R., & Abbey, A. (2016). Individual differences in men's misperception of women's sexual intent: Application and extension of the confluence model. Personality and Individual Differences, 94, 16-20.
Swartout, K.M., Koss, M.P., White, J.W., Thompson, M.P., Abbey, A., Bellis, A.L. (2015). Trajectory analysis of the campus serial rapist assumption. Journal of the American Medical Association Pediatrics, 169, 1148-1154. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.0707.
Wegner, R., Abbey, A., Pierce, J., Pegram, S.E., & Woerner, J. (2015). Sexual assault perpetrators’ justifications for the actions: Relationships to rape supportive attitudes, incident characteristics, and future perpetration, Violence Against Women, 21, 1018-1037. doi:10.1177/1077801215589380
Abbey, A., & Wegner, R. (2015). Using experimental paradigms to examine alcohol’s role in man’s sexual aggression: Opportunities and challenges in the selection of proxies. Violence Against Women, 21, 975-996. doi:10.1177/1077801215589378 (PMID26048214)
Jacques-Tiura, A.J., Abbey, A., Wegner, R., Pierce, J., Pegram, S.E., & Woerner, J. (2015). Friends matter: Protective and harmful aspects of male friendships associated with past year sexual aggression in a community sample of young men. American Journal of Public Health, 105, 1001-1007. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.302472
Hayman, L.W., McIntyre, R., & Abbey, A. (2015). The bad taste of social ostracism: The effects of exclusion on the eating behaviors of African American women. Psychology and Health, 30, 518-533. doi: 10.1080/08870446.2014.983923
Abbey, A., Wegner, R., Woerner, J., Pegram, S.E., & Pierce, J. (2014). Review of survey and experimental research that examine the relationship between alcohol consumption and men’s sexual aggression perpetration. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 15, 265-282. doi:10.1177/1524838014521031
Wegner, R., Pierce, J., & Abbey, A. (2014). Relationship type and sexual precedence: Their associations with perpetrators and sexual assault characteristics. Violence Against Women, 20, 1360-1382. doi:10.1177/1077801214552856
Graham, K., Bernards, S., Osgood, D.W., Parks, M., Abbey, A., Felson, R.B., Saltz, R.F., & Wells, S. (2013). Apparent motives for aggression in the social context of the bar. Psychology of Violence, 3, 218-232. doi: 10.1037/a0029677
White, J.W., Yuan, N.P., Cook, S.L., & Abbey, A. (2013). Ethnic minority women’s experiences with intimate partner violence: Using community-based participatory research methods to ask the right questions. Sex Roles, 69, 226-236. doi:10.1007/s11199-012-0237-0
Abbey, A., Wegner, R., Pierce, J., & Jacques-Tiura, A.J. (2012). Patterns of sexual aggression in a community sample of young men: Risk factors associated with persistence, desistance, and initiation over a one year interval. Psychology of Violence, 2, 1-15. doi:10.1037/a0026346
Abbey, A., Jacques-Tiura, A.J., & LeBreton, J. (2011). Risk factors for sexual aggression in young men: An expansion of the confluence model. Aggressive Behavior, 37, 1-15. doi:10.1002/ab.20399
Abbey, A. (2011). Alcohol and dating risk factors for sexual assault: Double standards are still alive and well entrenched. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 35, 362-368. doi:10.1177/0361684311404150
Ceballo, R., Abbey, A., & Schooler, D. (2010). Perceptions of women's infertility: What do physicians see? Fertility and Sterility 93, 1066-1073. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.11.019
Abbey, A., Jacques-Tiura, A., & Parkhill, M.R. (2010). Sexual assault among diverse populations of women: Common ground, distinctive features, and unanswered questions. H. Landrine & N. Russo (Eds.) Handbook of diversity in feminist psychology (pp. 391-425). NY: Springer Publishing Co.
Jacques-Tiura, A.J., Tkatch, R., Abbey, A., & Wegner, R. (2010). Disclosure of sexual assault: Characteristics and implications for posttraumatic stress symptoms among African American and Caucasian survivors. Journal of Trauma and Dissociation, 11, 174-192. doi:10.1080/15299730903502938
Purdie, M.P., Abbey, A., & Jacques-Tiura, A.J. (2010). Perpetrators of intimate partner sexual violence: Are there unique characteristics associated with making partners have sex without a condom? Violence Against Women, 16, 1086-1097. doi:10.1177/1077801210382859
Awards and Recent Scientific Panels
- American Psychological Association Division 35 Recipient of Strickland Daniel Mentoring Award, 2016.
- Board of Governors Distinguished Faculty Fellow, Wayne State University, 2015.
- Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award; Social Sciences, Education, and Business; Wayne State University, 2014.
- Ad Hoc Member of National Institutes of Health Risk Prevention and Intervention for Addiction Study Section, October 2014.
- External Consultant to the Department of Defense in the development of the 2014-2016 Sexual Assault Prevention Strategy, released May, 2014.
- Invited Participant, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism’s Workshop “Toward Effective Interventions for Alcohol-Related Sexual, Physical, and Intimate Partner Violence: Where We Are, What is Needed, How to Get There,” September 2012.
- Consulting Editor of the Year, Psychology of Violence, 2010-2011.
- External Member of the Sexual Violence Prevention Portfolio Review, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sponsored by the Office of the Associate Director for Science, September, 2011.
Recent Grant Funding
- Alcohol's Role in Sexual Assault: Development of Virtual Reality Simulation Proxy. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), July 10, 2012 - June 30, 2015.
- Alcohol's Role in Etiology of Sexual Assault Perpetration in a Community Sample. NIAAA, May 20, 2007 - July 31, 2011.
- Alcohol's Role in AIDS Risk Reduction for Young Adults. NIAAA, September 26, 2000 - August 31, 2005.
- Prospective Analyses of Alcohol's Role in Sexual Assault. NIAAA, September 1, 1998 - August 31, 2002.
- Northwestern University, Ph.D. in Social Psychology, August 1982.
- University of Michigan, B.A. in Psychology, December 1975.