Site Name: Meiring Farm

WSUMA Accession Nos.: 719, 1171, 1535, 1582, 2440

Site No.: 20MR582

Excavated By: Arnold Pilling, Charles Martinez

Excavation Year(s): 1980

Site Description:

Meiring Farm is in Ash Township and is bounded on the west by Newport road, the north by North Stony creek, the east by the C&O railroad and the south by Stony Creek. It is the site of Meiring Greenhouse Farms run by Robert Meiring. It consists of moraine till and sandy knolls. The site also contains a late archaic campsite, woodland and late woodland occupation sites, served as a Native American burial ground in the 18 th century, and a European-American cabin occupied the site from 1830 to 1840.

Artifacts:

  • Ceramics:
    • Historic: hand painted polychromatic, red and black transfer prints
    • Pre-Historic: corded Wayneware
  • Faunal Remains
  • Human Remains
  • Lithics: flint debitage, broken lithics, fire cracked rock

Cat. Nos.:

 
 ↑ back to top