Click here to see pictures of the artifacts for this collection

Site Name: Michigan Consolidated Gas Company

WSUMA Accession Nos.: 109, 249

Site No.: 20WN262 (aka WN-H7)

Excavated By:

Excavation Year(s): 1960

Site Description:

This site was excavated in 1960 in order that the headquarters for the Michigan Consolidated Gas Company could be constructed. Under the ground was found the foundations of an old hotel. The articles from this excavation include pottery sherds including earthenware form the period of 1825 -1835 and deep blue North Stafford shire ware. In addition, pieces of metal, stone, shell, glass, bone, wood, plaster, quartzite, fire-cracked rock, brick, clay and seeds including cherry, grape and pumpkin have been uncovered here. The more notable pieced of this collection are the leather worker's debris, buckles, locks, candlestick parts (1840's) and a Mexican silver dollar from the 1830's. The area is believed to have been a cobbler's or a harness maker's shop at one time.

Artifacts:

The more notable pieces of this collection are the leather worker's debris, buckles, locks, candlestick parts (1840's) and a Mexican silver dollar from the 1830's. The area is believed to have been a cobbler's or a harness maker's shop at one time.

Cat. Nos.: 1W228784 - 1W228833, 1W219846 - 1W222000

References:

Information about the excavation along with pictures of the excavation and some of the objects uncovered here. It also includes some maps and diagrams of the area. Unpublished manuscript on file at WSU Museum of Anthropology. [ # 11W20]

Photos and transparencies of biological material for WN H 7, Michigan Consolidated Gas Company. Unpublished manuscript on file at WSU Museum of Anthropology. [# 11W193]

These materials were used by Dr. John R Jackson in a paper presented before the Central State Anthropological Convention on April 29, 1966 . It consists of pictures of biological materials, such as seeds and fish scales.

 
 ↑ back to top