Click here to see pictures of the artifacts for this collection

Site Name: Pine Grove Carriage House Trash (aka Pine Grove)

WSUMA Accession Nos.: 2292, 2366

Site No.: HB 07 *see note under Misc.

Excavated By: Charles Martinez, possibly the Oakland County Pioneer and Historical Society

Excavation Year(s): 1975, 1976

Site Description:

In 1845 Governor Moses Wisner purchased a tract of land which was part of the “Saginaw Trail”. He built his home here and several outbuildings and dubbed it Pine Grove. The property remained in the Wisner family until 1945 when it was purchased by the Oakland County Pioneer and Historical Society. Located at 405 Oakland Ave. in Pontiac , Michigan , the carriage house currently serves as a museum and offices for the society. The artifacts in the collection came from excavation conducted in 1975 and 1976 and were donated in March 1985 and January 1986.

Artifacts:

  • Cloth: Ribbon
  • Faunal Remains: large and small mammals
  • Glass: fragments of brown, milk, and colorless
  • Metal: nails, screws, buckles, foil, lids, unidentified fragments, stove hardware, automatic pencil
  • Shell: Buttons

Cat. Nos.: 1W473886-1W474500; 1W479226-1W479385

References: N/A

Misc.:

This site is also known as the Moses and Angeolina Hascall Wisner house and is known as HB07 (Historic Building 7)The site was added to the Michigan State Registry 9/25/1956 and to the National Register of Historic Places on 7/8/1970

 
 ↑ back to top