Click here to see pictures of the artifacts for this collection

Site Name: Prince Hall Drive (aka “B” Site Martinez )

WSUMA Accession Nos.: 1693 ( Martinez ), 1890 (Donated by Michael Garrett)

Site No.: 20WN448

Excavated By: Charles Martinez, Michael Garrett

Excavation Year: February 1982

Site Description:

The Prince Hall Drive Site is located near Parent's Creek approximately 550-600 feet south of E. Vernor Hwy. , 175 feet west of Elmwood Cemetery , and 100 feet east of Prince Hall Drive . This site is located on former Private Claim No. 9 + 459, also McDougall Farm. In February 1982, the site was used as a dump site. The site was initially brought to the attention of Demeter by Michael Garrett, a bottle collector. Charles Martinez went on to initiate investigations. Martinez noted that the site had been disturbed and several pits had been dug by looters. He performed a surface collection and gathered a sample of historic ceramics from the site. Michael Garrett donated items that he had excavated from the site that same year.

Artifacts:

  • Ceramics:
    • Stoneware ( salt glazed, lead glazed, annular, cobalt decoration, crocks, jugs)
    • Porcelain and Creamware (transfer prints ( mulberry, blue, black), decaled, handpainted polychromes)
    • Redware (unglazed)

Catalogue Numbers: 1W430089-1W430094, 1W434151-1W434160, 1W439721-1W439785

References:

  • Martinez, Charles (1982) Miscellaneous n otes Re: Two Detroit Sites – Prince Hall Drive and Bloody Run Gulch. Unpublished manuscript on file at WSU Museum of Anthropology. [#11W634]

Misc.:

  • Michael Garrett's name has been spelled numerous ways in WSUMA records, including Ganad and Gannett.
 
 ↑ back to top