Application for LawStart
The LawStart Program is now accepting applications through January 8, 2017, 11:59 p.m.
Reminders for all Potential Applicants
LawStart is a competitive program. To apply for LawStart, students must:
- Have completed between 24 and 64 college credits (and at least 24 credits at Wayne State)
- Have at least a 3.5 cumulative G.P.A. in college coursework so far
- Have declared a major within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Be on pace to finish their major, college, and general education requirements by approximately 90-100 credits
Other application materials1 include:
- A personal statement about future career goals (preferred length is 1 – 2 single spaced, typed pages) in your own words. You may use your personal statement to convey to the LawStart Selection Committee any experiences, interests, future career goals, unusual circumstances, or other information not otherwise included in your application that you believe would be helpful to the Committee in evaluating your application.
- Résumé (preferred length is1 – 2 pages)
- A graded writing sample from a college-level course (at least 5 double-spaced pages in length)
- 2 – 4 letters of recommendation (with at least one from a Wayne State faculty member). Your recommendations should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 Because the WSU LawStart program is a competitive program, we will only be accepting 5 – 10 students into this first cohort. As a result, please remember that your application materials should represent your best work. We recommend that you have others read and edit your personal statements, résumés, and writing samples before you finalize your applications.
Questions about the LawStart application process? Email us at email@example.com.