4th Annual SEED Wayne Farm Tour, Saturday, August 18, 2012
Read about the 2009 Farm Tour
Read about the 2010 Farm Tour
Read about the 2011 Farm Tour
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Click to view pictures of the 2012 Farm Tour
A busload of 40 people set out on a beautiful Saturday morning on our annual pilgrimage to farms and related food system operations in the region. This year, the farm tour featured:
- Earthworks Urban Farm on Detroit's Eastside. EWUF is a key SEED Wayne partner, since the founding of the latter program in 2008. A program of the Capuchin Soup Kitchen, EWUF is Detroit's only certified organic farm; most of its harvests go into the soup kitchen. The tour showcased their main production site behind Gleaners Community Food Bank building, and the nearly 4,000 square feet passive solar greenhouse built in partnership wtih SEED Wayne at St. Paul and Meldrum. This hoophouse increased overall harvests by nearly a third.
- King Karate Harvesting Earth Farm in Flint, MI, an insipiring farm with two hoophouses and a new orchard maintained by Karate Master Jacky King and his wife, Dora King, with the help of their students. We were enveloped by their warm spirit and graciousness the moment we got off the bus!
- Almar Orchards in Flushing, MI, to learn about their operations, including their cider production business. We also wanted to learn how the worst weather in memory in Michigan that practically eliminated tree fruit harvests in Michigan treated their orchard and how they were coping. As it turns out, quite well!
- Anthony's Bee Farm in Swartz Creek, MI, to learn about commercial bee-keeping and wholesale honey operations.
- Westwind Milling Company in Linden, MI, the state's oldest flour mill still in operation (actually it's the oldest this side of the Mississippi). Owners Lee and Linda Purdy also produce organic wheat which is supplemented by grain from outside to support their mill.